- This event has passed.
Rideau Hall Skating Rink
January 3 @ 1:00 pm - 8:30 pm UTC-4
The skating rink is open.
The outdoor skating rink was originally built in 1872, during the mandate of the Earl of Dufferin, Canada’s third governor general. Along with his wife, Lady Dufferin—who quickly became a keen skater herself—he organized many skating parties during his stay at Rideau Hall. Today, you can step back in time and go for a skate on this historic rink which is also now refrigerated.
Lace up your skates and leave your bags in this stunning heritage building, located next to the rink. Don’t miss its small exhibit about the history of winter sports at Rideau Hall.
Public Skating Schedule
December 1 2018 to March 24, 2019 (weather permitting)
Saturdays and Sundays, from 12 noon to 5 p.m. (without reservations).
Public Skating – Guidelines for users
- The rink is maintained on a daily basis; however, we cannot guarantee the ice conditions or maintenance if a snowfall occurs during your visit.
- The rink at Rideau Hall is for leisure skating only. Hockey sticks, pucks and roughhousing are not permitted.
- Pets are not permitted at the facility.
- It is recommended that young or novice skaters wear helmets.
- Light snacks such as cookies and non-alcoholic drinks are permitted
- Appliances such as hot plates and crock pots are not permitted.
- Food and beverages must stay in the pavilion. Food cannot be delivered to the site.
- A wood stove will be kept lit for heating purposes of the pavilion. It cannot be used for heating or cooking food and beverages.
- Rideau Hall will provide music for your skating pleasure.
January 2 to March 24, 2019 (weather permitting)
Monday to Friday: 1 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Rideau Hall is a working residence and official events may require unforeseen changes to your visit.
As this is an outdoor facility, the schedule may vary during the season according to weather conditions. Please consult our website for up to date information.
Parking is available on surrounding streets. You can access the rink on foot by the entrance gates located on Thomas and Mackay Streets, on Sussex Drive and on Princess Avenue.
ADD YOUR EVENT – You can submit your event to our partner events page. Learn more here.